Monday, October 12, 2009

New Gear, new guild...Now What?

It's been a pretty exciting, though very tiring, weekend.

As my previous posts have implied, we made the move from Bronzebeard to Shadow Council late Saturday night. I bought the guild charter on my DK, since I figured it would be easy to get sigs on her then on a level 1 bank toon, and headed out to the troll/orc starting area. With the help of a few great wow_ladies readers, we had the charter signed and turned in before I logged that night.

I spent most of the day on Sunday trying to find and recruit new members. Wow, I remember how much I hated recruiting in the beginning days of LC. Sadly, or happily maybe, by the end of the day I had recruited 5 new people. The level 13 undead something quit when we advised we do not promote boosting after he begged in /g for a deadmines run. Nothing lost there. But we do have a level 74 prot/ret pally, 80 something mage and a 80 survival hunter. Our 4th new member is a level 40ish warrior.

We'll see how the guild growing goes. It's a long tedious process, especially when you're starting a guild with only two people. At least when I had LC growing, I had a couple friends as officers from the beginning, that were helping us find new members.

On a happy note! I'm so glad to be back on a server were people actually use the LFG option!! Eto and I were able to pug several runs of normal ToC and a h-VH run with no problems at all. It's so nice to pop into LFG or Trade and ask for 3 dps and have them in 2 minutes flat, as opposed to sitting in LFG for 3 - 4 hours and never getting a group!

Now my dilemma. I got some pretty good drops last night. A couple really good ones actually. The problem being that now my defense is way over the cap. Currently sitting at 550 defense and feel like I'm wasting stats. Looking at my armory page (like on kalyara in the crew tap) my stats look pretty good to me, I just can't figure out where to drop the defense at.

That leads to another issues. It seems my mitigation needs to go up. Here are my stats with the new gear:

HP: 28,461 (unbuffed)
Dodge - 19.89%
Parry - 15.21%
Defense - 550
Armor - 14,347
Strenth - 855

From what I understand these are the points to keep in mind:
- Dodge is greater then Parry since parry is a direct reflection of your strength (25% gained from)
- Expertise on DKs does not effect spells and most of our abilities are therefor this stat is not as important to us as say a Warrior.

The hard part is I can't seem to find a straight answer that says, X is how much dodge percent and/or parry percent you need. I've read various post that say adding the two together and getting close to 40% is a good starting point. I've read various posts that give detailed math formulas that sound great but make little sense. And then I read further and they go on to inform that those formulas are geared more towards warriors and paladins. *sigh*

So, anyone have any thoughts or ideas to back any of this?

2 comments:

Sidian said...

This was the most informative thread a quick google-hunt brought up. It's not great, though: while it says flat out that dodge is superior for you DK-sorts it doesn't really say why, which irks me intensely. D:

While I don't know much about specific stat-requirements for particular content (I'm the sort that thinks "Hey, Sath barely touched me. TO ULDUAR." and deals with the results as they come, eheh) I do know that defence is a great stat even past the cap. Yah, it isn't doing anything as important as stopping things from critting you anymore, but those extra points give nice, even boosts to your other mitigation stats, which isn't to be scoffed at.

A quick comparison to my priest's guild's DK MT makes it seem like you might be favouring parry a bit but overall you're looking pretty good. To be honest... I've myself with little choice in gear. I've just been getting drops/emblem rewards that are huge upgrades regardless of whether they have more dodge or parry. It's actually kinda annoying - I can't shift hit rating for something else because because I have no equivalent level, hit-free pieces. Knowing you're wasting 117 hit rating worth of item level points ftl. D:

Most of all, though, grats on the Naxx tankage and what sounds like a major server upgrade. I'm gobsmacked by the idea that a tank and a healer could have to sit around for hours waiting for DPS - your old server must have been a ghost town. o.O;

tdleitch said...

The transfer has been a plus. Bronzebeard wasn't exactly a ghost town but Eto had always complained there was no one pugging on that server. Even when he rolled there orginally 3 years ago. The friend he had reroll on Shadow Council even commented at the time that he was shocked that Shadow Coundil had such a high usage of LFG and raid pugging.

Thank you for the links. I can use all the help I can get to figure out these stats.

Post a Comment

 

Confessions of a Girl Gamer © 2008 . Design By: SkinCorner